Thursday, January 24, 2008

Missing Texas

I admit one of my problems living in Minnesota has been that I've never really "let go" of Texas...and we have been here 20 years. For the first few years we were here, I could still think of living in Minnesota as a sort of temporary thing, that we would eventually go back to the Lone Star state.

The longing for Texas was especially strong while Mama was still alive....March 21, 2008, will be 14 years though since she died.

I reckon I will have to quit pining for Texas at some point. It's just that I have never developed the emotional attachment to Minnesota that I still have for Texas.

Well, today the "high" was 12, and that's warm compared to what the last 10 days have been. 12...I never thought I would live anywhere but Texas, and sure never anywhere that's called the "icebox of the country."

I've lived though now though temperatures way below zero. -20, and that was not taking the wind chill into account.

When our daughter was born in January of 1996, the high that week was -10....the high.

When our second son was born in October of 1988, it snowed 33 inches on Halloween. In one day. 33 inches.

I think it snowed twice the whole time I was living in Texas, and the inch or so of the stuff on the ground put the entire area into red alert.

So, I am trying....still....wonderful things have happened to me in Minnesota, most especially the births of our three children...and, I have made a few good friends. But, with the exception of those blessed events, I think I could move tomorrow and not miss Minnesota one bit.

Really.....




No comments: